Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have called on Georgia’s parliament to reject the two Russian-style bills that are currently under debate.
According to them, the bills are incompatible with international human rights law and standards that protect freedom of expression and association. They have urged Georgian Parliament to withdraw the bills and ensure that they comply with international human rights law and standards.
Hugh Williamson, Europe and Central Asia director at Human Rights Watch, stated that the bills “seek to marginalize and discredit independent, foreign-funded groups and media that serve the wider public interest in Georgia.” Williamson also noted that the bills aim to restrict critical groups and crucial media, violate Georgia’s international obligations, and would have a serious chilling effect on groups and individuals working to protect human rights, democracy, and the rule of law.
Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have called on the international community to closely monitor the situation in Georgia and speak out against any efforts to restrict freedom of expression and association.
- 06/03/2023 – MPs Resume Discussions on Foreign Agent Law Amid Protests
- 02/03/2023-U.S., EU and UK Ambassadors React to Draft Law “On Transparency of Foreign
- 02/03/2023 – 36 Arrests Confirmed at the Rally Against the Foreign Agents’ Bill
- 02/03/2023 – Parliament Launches Discussions on “Foreign Agents” Amid Scuffles, Endorses the Draft Laws
- 27/02/2023 – More Severe Draft Law on Foreign Agents Submitted
- 27/02/2023 – U.S. Ambassador Speaks to Media about Draft Laws on Foreign Agents and NBG
- 27/02/2023 – United Nations in Georgia Expresses Concern over Draft Law on Foreign Agents
- 25/02/2023 – Spokesperson of EU High Representative Borrell Issues Critical Statement on the Draft Law on Foreign Agents
- 16/02/2023 – U.S. ‘Deeply Concerned’ about Draft Law on Foreign Agents
- 15/02/2023 – People’s Power Tables Draft Law on Foreign Agents
This post is also available in: ქართული (Georgian) Русский (Russian)