Georgian Prime Minister Giorgi Gakharia and Head of European Union Monitoring Mission (EUMM) Erik Høeg met on October 7 to discuss the situation in occupied Abkhazia and Tskhinvali Region/South Ossetia.
At the meeting, Gakharia and Høeg noted that the recent developments in particular in Chorchana and Gugutiantkari villages near occupation line with Tskhinvali, as well as illegal detentions of Georgian citizens, “blatantly violate” the security and human rights situation on the ground, PM’s press office announced today.
PM Gakharia said it is important that the situation in the occupied regions of Georgia tops the agenda of its western partners. He also welcomed the EUMM role as the only international mechanism on the ground in “decreasing tension and maintaining peace.”
Productive meeting today with Georgian PM @GakhariaGiorgi. We discussed recent threats to stability and human security at both ABLs – not least in Chorchana/Tsnelisi area. Appreciate strong commitment by PM to the IPRM format and to efficient functional cooperation with #EUMM. pic.twitter.com/NojWwDyzDe
— Erik Hoeg (@erik_hoeg) October 7, 2019
Erik Høeg also wrote on his Twitter page that at the meeting they discussed “recent threats to stability and human security” at both occupation lines with Abkhazia and Tskhinvali “not least in Chorchana/Tsnelisi area.”
Calling today’s meeting “productive,” Høeg said he appreciates PM Gakharia’s “strong commitment” to the EUMM-mediated Incident Prevention and Response Mechanism (IPRM) format, and “to efficient functional cooperation with EUMM.”
- 02/10/2019 – Yet Another Technical Meeting Held in Ergneti Over Disputed Police Checkpoint
- 19/09/2019 – Geneva Talks Co-Chairs Hold Meetings in Tbilisi, Tskhinvali, Sokhumi
- 17/09/2019 – EUMM on Events in Chorchana-Tsnelisi Area
- 15/09/2019 – Geneva Talks Co-Chairs on Closure of Tskhinvali Crossing Points
- 13/09/2019 – Another Meeting Held in Ergneti Over Disputed Police Checkpoint
- 06/09/2019 – In Tit-for-Tat Move, Tskhinvali Places ‘Border Signs’, Flag in Chorchana-Tsnelisi Area